A deadly collision between trains in India occurred at around 7 PM local time, on June 2, 2023. This is not the first time a similar incident has occurred in this Sub-Continent Country, it has been recorded that in the last 10 years, there have been 6 accidents that killed hundreds of people, and Some of them caused injuries to passengers.
Victims of the fatal train collision that just occurred in Odisha reportedly increased to 233 people, from the initial report of 207 people. While the surviving passengers who suffered injuries reached 900 people, although not all of their identities are known.
Based on local media reports, this incident is the worst in the history of Indian railways. We have summarized the dark record of railways in India in the last 10 years.
List of train accidents in India
The following is a list of train accidents in India as quoted from The New Indian Express on Saturday, 3 June 2023.
1. A train accident occurred on 22 May 2012 near Andhra Pradesh. The accident involved two trains, namely Hampi Express and Hubli-Bangalore Hampi Express.
There were around 25 fatalities and around 43 injuries as a result of the four bogie trains collapsing and one of them caught fire.
2. On 26 May 2014, the Gorakhdham Express, which was bound for Gorakhpur, collided with a goods train that had stopped near Khalilabad station in the Sant Kabir Nagar area of Uttar Pradesh.
As a result of this accident, 25 people died and more than 50 were injured.
3. Indore-Patna Express 19321 derailed near Pukhrayan in Kanpur, India, on November 20, 2016. This terrible tragedy killed 150 passengers and left more than 150 injured.
4. On 23 August 2017, nine coaches of the Kaifiyat Express bound for Delhi derailed near Auraiya, Uttar Pradesh, leaving at least 70 people injured.
5. On 18 August of the same year, the Puri-Haridwar Utkal Express derailed at Muzaffarnagar, killing 23 people and injuring nearly 60 others.
6. On 13 January 2022, at least 12 coaches of the Bikaner-Guwahati Express derailed in the West Bengal area of Alipurduar, leaving 9 people dead and 36 injured.
7. Most recently, on 2 June 2023, at least 207 people were killed and approximately 900 passengers injured in a train accident, triple the horrific one in Odisha involving the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, and a freight train.