In case you didn’t know, plotter plays a pretty important role when it comes to the quality of your CAD drawings. Since CAD drawings are essential for product designers, architects, and many more, it’s a crucial thing for all of them to have a high-quality plotter to help them with large vector graphics drawings.
That being said, we can all agree that it’s not that easy to find a suitable and the best plotter on the market nowadays. Luckily, we are here to discuss something more about plotters and provide a bit better insight into the whole picture.
In that light, let’s begin.
|Name||Plotter Type||Dimensions||Printing Speed|
|HP Designjet T100 24-In Printer||Inkjet||44.9 x 24.4 x 16.3 inches||Under 70 second print time|
|Epson SureColor T3270 Printer||Inkjet||30 x 42 x 44 inches||Under 60 second print time|
|Canon imagePROGRAF TM-200 Printer Plotter||Inkjet||38 x 34 x 42 inches||Under 25 second print time|
|Epson SureColor T-Series T5270 Printer||Inkjet||56 x 30 x 45 inches||Under 25 second print time|
|HP DESIGNJET T520 Printer||Design Jet||20 x 40 x 80 inches||Under 35 second print time|
|Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-4000 Printer||Ink Set||62.7 x 30.2 x 46 inches||Under 40 second print time|
|HP DesignJet Z9+ Printer||Design Jet||65.5 x 31 x 40 inches||Under 35 second print time|
|Canon PRO-6000 Printer||Inkjet||58 x 32 x 47 inches||Under 45 second print time|
Reviews of the Best Plotter for CAD Drawings
From a variety of options and possibilities, we strongly recommend plotters from these reviews. Why? Well, they are all equipped with newly designed features and their performance is on a high level.
1) HP Designjet T100 24-In Printer
The first plotter that caught our attention is the HP Designjet T100 Printer. This is an excellent choice for all those who are looking for high-performance and a variety of options when it comes to large-format printing. But, let’s take a closer look, shall we?
The first thing that speaks about this plotter is that it’s made by the well-known manufacturer of electronics – HP. Therefore, quality and integrity are something that this plotter has without any doubts. Also, HP has a unique design that makes its plotters quite compactable and lightweight as well.
Second, this unit is able to create a detailed document and graphic in full color since it’s equipped with HP Thermal Inkjet technology. Namely, this technology ensures 1200 x 1200 DPI resolution of the print and, in that light, makes any drawing a fine piece of art.
Furthermore, there’s a really convenient feature that only HP provides – the HP click software. This software will allow you to easily access any files from the cloud and print them without any complications.
- Compact design – perfectly fits into any office
- Outstanding performance
- Provides High-quality and High-speed A1 printing
- Equipped with HP Click and HP Thermal inkjet technology
- Belongs to the affordable price point category
- Requires a bit time to handle all the options
2) Epson SureColor T3270 24″ Large Format Color Inkjet Printer
Our next contestant comes from a line of products made by a well-known plotter manufacturer – the Epson. Namely, the Epson SureColor T3270 Inkjet Printer is specially designed to ensure the great quality of the printed document. Also, the speed required for the print is outstanding.
Now, when it comes to precision, this one should definitely be your number one choice. Simply speaking, Epson SureColor Inkjet Printer is capable of delivering precise technical drawings, any kind of posters, and even retail signage. Besides that, the quality is on the highest level possible with this printer.
Next, the speed of delivery is also something that this printer can brag about. Namely, this Inkjet printer ensures 720 x 720 DPI printing resolution which is actually more than enough. Also, maximum print resolution is 2880 x 1440 DPI, and that’s something that only a few printers can achieve.
- Advanced Precision Core for maximum quality
- Excellent performance
- Enables maximum print resolution up to 2880 x 1440
- Equipped with Enhanced Variable Droplet Technology
- Perfectly fits both your office and your budget
- Oversimplified design
3) Canon imagePROGRAF TM-200 24-inch 5-Color Inkjet Printer Plotter
Canon imagePROGRAF TM-200 Inkjet Printer Plotter is definitely one of the most convenient plotters to have in your office. Why? Well, this beauty is capable of delivering ultra-sharp lines while still being fast when it comes to large-format printing. Besides that, this unit is designed to fit any office since it’s quite compact.
A well-known brand name Cannon surely knows how to manufacture a good plotter. Therefore, this unit is equipped with a Lucia TD ink system that ensures full five color pigments for a better quality of the print. Also, printing speed is quite fast as this plotter ensures quick printing with the help of a 6-channel 1.07-inch print head.
As for the design, this plotter is specially made to ensure a perfect fit for a bit smaller offices. Namely, it’s fully accessible from the front and provides quiet operation. This unit actually makes 60% less noise than any other plotter.
To top it all off, this plotter is equipped with all sorts of options that you can use to ensure a perfect print. With the Direct Print and Share, PosterArtist Lite, or Free Layout Plus, you’ll easily get a high-quality print in no time.
- Specially designed for smaller offices – compact and lightweight
- Equipped with Agile Software which ensures many options
- Quiet and quick when it comes to printing
- Provides sharp and vivid print
- Splendid performance and high-quality resolution
- Used adjustment for the lines is necessary for the perfect picture
4) Epson SureColor T-Series T5270 Inkjet Large Format Printer – 36″ Print Width – Color
Once again we have a well-designed plotter that comes from a line of Epson products. The Epson SureColor T-Series T5270 Inkjet Large Format Printer is definitely one of the best plotters for large-format printing that you can find on the market.
With the newly developed Epson Precision Core that ensures maximum quality of the picture, you’ll be able to print up to 2880 x 1440 DPI. The picture will be of the highest quality with sharp and fine details. That’s quite convenient for anyone who needs to print large format pictures in the office.
One of the most convenient features equipped on this unit is the Storage Capacity availability. Namely, everything that’s printed will stay on a server so it can be printed again or renovate and then printed. This unit offers up to 320 GB capacity for your pictures, posters, and anything else in the large format.
Furthermore, there’s an Advanced Technology made by Epson that ensures this plotter to deliver on the highest possible quality of the print. Therefore, with the Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems, you’ll be able to print anything in large format and get only the best resolution of the picture.
- Excellent printing quality at maximum 2880 x 1440 resolution
- Improves workgroup productivity with 320 GB capacity print server
- Equipped with Advanced Technology for better quality
- High performance and quite fast print
- Great for any type of office, especially big ones
- This unit makes a bit more noise when it’s printing
5) HP DESIGNJET T520 24-in 2018 ED. Printer
Coming straight from the HP products, this plotter is one of the most valuable units you can bring in your office. The HP DESIGNJET T520 Printer is specially designed to ensure only the best quality of the print while still being quite fast and quiet. That’s basically everything you need for an office.
Now, the first thing that catches the eye about this unit is the versatility of use. Simply speaking, you can use this printer to make architectural designs, posters, photos, maps, presentations, and basically anything that requires large format printing.
Another great thing about this printer is that it allows you to move it around the office anywhere you want. That’s possible only because of the WiFi connectivity – the only thing that you need for this printer to work is a power plug. That way, you can improve results in the workplace.
As for the operation, this printer has a fully accessible touch panel with a lot of options for you to choose from. This touchscreen is specially designed to simplify the use of the printer and allow basically anyone to work on this unit.
- Ensures high-quality print at 2400 DPI
- Professionally designed for an office – Complements your office
- Equipped with a touchscreen that simplifies use and overall operation
- Perfect for large format printing of designs, maps, photos, and many more
- Outstanding performance with high-speed print
- Requires more often cartridge changes
6) Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-4000 44in Printer
When it comes to office equipment we can all agree on one thing, a high-quality printer is needed. That’s why Canon imagePROGRAF Printer is one of the best choices you can make. Simply put, this printer is ensuring high-quality and sharp print in no time.
First, this is one of the greatest large format printers that came from Canon’s products lately. With the 12 colors professional printing of photos, maps, and even posters, you’ll be able to fully benefit from this unit. That’s why this printer is convenient for any office.
Second, the L-COA PRO image processing engine that works at high speeds is definitely one more thing to brag about. Namely, this unit will be able to deliver any kind of print in under 40 seconds – quite impressive.
And third, this printer is specially designed to ensure sharp, detailed, and clear print on high resolutions. Nothing beats this one when it comes to clarity and sharpness of the image.
- Equipped with the latest software for better performance
- High-speed image processing engine ensures maximum printing speed
- Perfect for any photographic material for printing
- Compact and very well-designed for any office
- This printer requires you to spend a top dollar on it
7) HP DesignJet Z9+ 44″ Wide Format Postscript Printer, 9 Color Inks
HP DesignJet Wide Format Postscript Printer is actually one of the best units you can equip in your office. This printer is capable of delivering sharp and precise printing with high-quality details. It’s also equipped with lots of features that directly contribute to its overall performance and value.
This unit is made out of high-quality recycled plastic material and therefore it helps protect the environment. Also, it’s quite compact and lightweight which will provide a perfect fit for any office.
As for the printing speed, you can expect this printer to deliver a high-quality print in under one minute. That’s because this printer is equipped with a high-speed image processing engine that quickly provides a detailed print.
To top it all off, you can easily operate with this unit since it has a simplified touchscreen that offers a lot of options. Even a newcomer in the office will be able to fully operate and use this unit to print large format prints.
- A perfect option for environment-friendly offices
- Ensures high-quality and high-resolution print
- Works fast and it’s easy to operate with
- ENERGY STAR Certified and EPEAT Silver registered
- Excellent performance
- A bit wider than it seems
8) Canon PRO-6000 | 60″ Large Format Printer
Last, but certainly not the least, the Canon PRO-6000 Large Format Printer offers quite a lot for anyone in the office. This printer is built in the light to deliver only the most detailed and sharpest picture of the print.
With the LUCIA PRO ink feature that allows 11-color pigment print, you’ll be able to print basically anything in the large format. Also, you can use glossy or semi-glossy paper with this printer which is quite the benefit for some offices.
This unit is equipped with the L-COA PRO high-speed image processing engine that ensures printing time is fast. You don’t have to wait more than a minute in order to get a perfectly detailed and high-quality print.
Also, there’s a print server with 320 GB capacity that stores every print you make. This is quite convenient in case you want to reprint something or renovate it and print it again after that.
- Perfect for bigger offices – improves work efficiency
- Ensures high-quality picture and sharp details
- Equipped with LUCIA PRO ink Set and L-COA image processing engine
- Outstanding performance for any type of print
- High precision and attention to details
- Wheels are a bit stiff and hard to move
Choosing a piece of equipment such as a plotter is not an easy task, especially if you don’t know much about them. Luckily, we are here to talk about everything that you need to take into consideration before buying a plotter for CED drawing.
It’s quite important to invest in a good plotter that meets your needs rather than choosing one that simply can’t keep up with your office needs. Therefore, let’s start.
Design and Size
The first thing to keep on your mind when choosing a plotter is the size and design. Namely, you will need to pick the one that can fit into your office without using too much space. After all, you don’t want your employees to frequently bump into the plotter.
We recommend measuring the space needed for the plotter and then finding a suitable place in the office. Also, keep in mind that the plotter needs at least a few inches space to breathe so don’t push it close to the wall.
When it comes to plotter speed, you actually need to look at the equipped software. Simply put, if the software is up-to-date or newly developed, your plotter will definitely have high-speed printing possibilities. Also, some plotters have apps for allowing you to exactly choose a time and type of printing.
Besides that, some manufacturers require you to pay some extra cash to be able to use some extra features like improved speed, more capacity, better quality image, and so on. Therefore, keep in mind that you can choose some really expensive but high-quality plotters.
Some plotters and printers are actually the best office machines when it comes to the quality of the delivered image. And, there isn’t an average quality level that you can use to compare plotters. It’s a bit more complex than that. However, maximum printing resolution is 2880 x 1440, but, only a few plotters are able to do that.
On the other hand, it’s important to know that every plotter has its own printing resolution that fits his configuration. So, if one plotter has a maximum of 1800 x 1800 print resolution it doesn’t have to mean that it’s not good for the office.
Anyhow, you need to figure out what type of CED drawing are you going to print. We recommend getting plotter with 2880 x 1440 DPI resolution since you can’t go wrong with that.
This stuff doesn’t come cheap – that’s a fact! And, if you want to get only the best equipment for your office then you have to pay a top dollar. But, finding a good plotter doesn’t have to mean that you need to buy the most expensive one, no!
It’s quite important to find the plotter that meets your standards and if the price is right, then get it. Price shouldn’t be the reason why one plotter better than another, this simply means that more expensive plotters have more features and offer more possibilities when it comes to CED drawing printing.
Lastly, you need to compare the price with the overall performance of one plotter and see the real level of quality. But, that’s not always easy, and, you should really be able to benefit from the plotter you want to get.
Every plotter that we reviewed here belongs to the affordable price point category and holds a pretty massive value for the price. Therefore, you can go wrong with our list here.
You Should Also Keep in Mind
There is also some stuff that you should keep in mind when choosing a plotter. Here they are:
- Ink Types – Different plotters require a different type of ink so you should keep that in your mind when choosing a plotter for your office.
- Media Support – Being able to maximize your product value with the help of media support is really important.
- Consumables – Cost of paper, ink, and waste is also a thing to put into calculation before getting a plotter.
- Durability – Your plotter should provide you with a long service period and therefore, it should be durable.
- Warranties – Always check for the warranty lists and options.
- Size of the Printer and the Paper – Knowing exactly which paper to get for the plotter can save you a lot of time and money.
- Customer Service – If you stumble upon some technical difficulties, it’s always a good thing to have an option to call customer support.
So, there you go. Choosing a plotter is definitely not an easy task. With everything you need to take into consideration, you’ll definitely need to think twice before buying a plotter for your office.
In the light of everything we said above, it’s safe to say that without a proper plotter, you can’t have high-quality CAD drawings. We explained everything you need to know when it comes to choosing a plotter suitable for your needs.
Besides that, there is our top 8 pick when it comes to the best plotter for CAD drawings. So, it’s basically up to you to decide which one to get. Keep in mind that you don’t need to rush.