Table of Contents
You would probably be familiar with the word Hypoglycemia, generally known as low blood sugar, in which the sugar level in the blood falls below the normal threshold. Usually, this disease is associated with humans; however, it is a common occurrence in pets, especially cats and dogs, as well.
Since you are here, this means, unfortunately, your ball of fur is suffering from low blood sugar, and you are in a hunt for a glucose meter to keep the level in check. There are numerous options available on the internet and finding the most appropriate one is rather tricky. Keeping this in view, in this post we have compiled a list of best glucose meters for cats and dogs in 2020.
Don’t forget to check the buying guide at the end. Let’s get started!
#1 AlphaTRAK 2 Veterinary Blood Glucose Monitoring Meter Kit
Best for accurate results within seconds
Are you in search of a glucose meter that can check your beloved pet’s glucose level within seconds? Is it painful for you to extract numerous micrometers of blood from the tiny veins of your bundle of joy?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then you should get your hands on the AlphaTRAK 2 Veterinary Blood Glucose Monitoring Meter Kit. It is specifically designed for cats and dogs and is a favorite amongst vets due to its quick and painless testing method.
The whole process involves 3 easy steps, and only requires 3 micrometers of blood. Furthermore, this kit doesn’t require the painful venous rupture, it is compatible with the capillary blood. The kit comprises of a blood sugar meter, a poking probe to draw blood, 30 lancets, 25 test strips, a calibrating liquid to test the meter, and a pouch to hold all these items.
Let’s have a precise look at all the qualities that makes it an excellent contender for your pet’s diabetic needs!
#2 VetMate Dogs/Cats Glucose Monitoring System
Best for least blood sample
Glucose metering is, no doubt, a painful process for pets due to the blood drawing step. However, with advancements in technology, this has been simplified, and our fur babies are relatively free from this step’s agony. One such advanced apparatus is the VetMAte Dogs/Cats Glucose Monitoring System.
This kit takes into account the hematocrit, i.e. the ratio of the volume of the red blood cells to the total volume of blood, of the cats and dogs to ensure accurate blood sugar level reading. It only requires 0.4 microliters of blood for testing, the lowest amount in all the reviewed meters in this post.
This kit is compatible with both, venous and capillary blood samples. This kit comprises of a glucose meter, 10 test strips, 10 lancets, a lancing device, a carrying case, 2 batteries, and instruction manuals.
Its test strips have GDH-FAD technology that ensures that the variation in oxygen levels doesn’t interfere with the results, which in turn increases their precision. Each of them has an expiry of 2 years, even if they have been opened. Furthermore, the glucose meter has a strip ejector for safe test strip disposal.
#3 Cera-Pet Blood Glucose Monitor for Cats & Dogs
Best in terms of accuracy
The biggest concern while buying a glucose meter online is its accuracy. Usually, customers look at the features promised by the seller and spend their hard-earned money, which, at times, ends up in vain because the item isn’t as accurate as advertised. However, this won’t happen if you get the Cera-Pet Blood Glucose Monitor for Cats & Dogs, because the test results have shown that it has an accuracy level of more than 98.5%.
In addition to being highly accurate, it is quite convenient as well, because its lancet provides five different comfort settings. The most common ones are the ear or pow pad; you can also use your dog’s lip. The whole kit comprises of a glucose meter, a lancing device, lancets, code keys, and test strips.
This kit only requires 5 seconds to provide precise results. Its size and weight also contribute to its ease of use; the meter only weighs 39g with battery and has dimensions of 2” x 4” x 0.5”. The whole process of blood sugar level measurement only requires 4 easy steps.
- Insert the provided code key based on the pet (cat or dog).
- Once the meter is calibrated, remove the code key and insert the test strip.
- Draw 5 microliters of blood from your pet using the lancet and lancing device.
- Place the blood on the absorbent hole of the test strip until the window is filled with it. After 5 seconds, the meter will display the results.
#4 PetTest Diabetes Testing Tools
Best for Beginners
Is it your first time buying a diabetes testing tool for your pet cat or dog?
If yes, then the PetTest Diabetes Testing Tools are the best option for you. This is because this kit’s meter doesn’t require manual coding, which is the case with most of the others available on Amazon. All you need to do is press a button to change the setting from the cat mode to the dog mode, and vice versa.
The package contains two major items: PetTest Starter Kit (PT-100) and the eOutletdeals Pet Towel. The starter kit comprises of a glucose meter, 25 test strips, control solution, lancing device, and 25 lancets. Other items include a manual, reference guide, 2 AAA batteries, and a one-year warranty card.
Its glucose meter only requires 5 seconds to provide accurate results from a sample of 3 microliters. Its design is compatible with checking the blood sugar levels of cats and dogs at home, in office, and in a laboratory.
The glucose meter not only accurately checks the results, but it also stores them and calculates an average over 7,14 and 28 days. These results are separated based on the species. Its memory can hold up to 400 test results, properly organized according to the date and time of the test.
Now coming towards the eOutletDeals pet towel, it is made from an environmentally friendly material, which is completely biodegradable and disposable. PetTest has ensured that it is hygienic and soft so that your pet stays cozy and comfortable. It has the dimensions of 17” by 31.5”.
#5 iPet PRO Kit
Most experienced in glucose testing
If you are skeptical of entrusting your pet’s health in an inexperienced brand, then you should opt for the iPet Pro Kit, a company that has been working to enhance its glucose metering technology for the last 25 years.
They have been working on numerous vaccines and products to counter the blood sugar level fluctuations in pets. They are well-known for the iPet Pro kit, which specifically caters to the diabetic care needs of cats and dogs.
This device is compatible with both, the capillary and venous blood sample types. Its advanced technology ensures that you receive accurate results by detecting and correcting the sources of errors. The pro kit contains a glucose meter, a vial of test strips, a glucose chip, a lancing device, 28-gauge lancets, control solution, a carrying case, a user guide, and a logbook.
Best Glucose Meter for Cats and Dogs Buying Guide
These are our top picks for the best glucose meter for cats and dogs in 2020 on Amazon. It was quite tiresome to go through all the different options available and to scale down to the best 5, but anything for our beloved readers!
In case you weren’t satisfied with our suggestions, we have compiled all the essential characteristics that you should consider and check in your chosen glucose meter before placing the order. Remember, negligence in this regard will not only cost you a pretty penny, but it can degrade your beloved fur ball’s health as well. Furthermore, the blood drawing process scares the pets, which is amplified if the testing tool being used is mediocre.
Let’s have a look at the essential features of an accurate and precise blood sugar level testing meter!
- The first feature that you should check is the amount of blood required for testing. Each test strip has a different requirement and is generally mentioned in the product’s description. You should choose the micrometers required based on your pet’s tendency to stay still. If s/he is fussy, then opt for an option that requires minimal blood for accurate testing.
- Another crucial element is the kit’s lancing device because it will decide how comfortable your pet is during the testing process. Blood extraction is quite traumatic for your cat or dog; therefore, you should ensure that your chosen glucose meter has a lancet that will draw the blood in the most painless manner possible. Our suggestion is to choose devices that have adjustable lancets.
- If you already own a glucose meter and intend to buy test strips, then make sure that they are compatible with your device. Incompatible test strips show wrong results on the meter, which would force you to run to your vet.
- Test result timing also plays an important role in glucose meter selection. This information is usually provided in the product’s description.
- Lastly, before placing your order, make sure that your bank account is capable of handling the cost that will be incurred in the present and the future. Glucose testing is a regular procedure and is not limited to the cost of the glucose meter but depends on the whole process with the test strips being the costliest. Always check their prices before choosing a kit. Furthermore, ensure that the test strips that you have checked are compatible with your device.
We are confident that by now you would have either chosen a suitable glucose meter or mastered the technique of finding one on Amazon. Let us know in the comments below that which ones have you used so far and how accurate were their results?! Your precious feedback could help other pet owners in providing maximum diabetic care to their bundles of joy!
Last update on 2020-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API